Another retraction for grad student who specializes in plagiarism and forging co-authors’ names
As we reported back in August 2011, Smiri had plagiarized repeatedly from previously-published work, and forged the names of co-authors, in a 2010 article in Plant Science on the effects of cadmium on peas. That article was one of at least six papers on which Smiri appeared as first author — a pretty impressive output for a young researcher.
Among the list was article in Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, “Effect of cadmium on resumption of respiration in cotyledons of germinating pea seeds.” That paper is now retracted. According to the notice:
This article has been retracted: please see Elsevier Policy on Article Withdrawal (http://www.elsevier.com/locate/withdrawalpolicy).
This article has been retracted at the request of the Former Editor-in-Chief and co-authors.
The article includes content plagiarised from articles that have already appeared in the following journals.
1. Smiri, M., Chaoui, A., Rouhier, N., Gelhaye, E., Jacquot, J.P., El Ferjani, E., Redox regulation of the glutathione reductase/iso-glutaredoxin system in germinating pea seed exposed to cadmium. Plant Sci. 179 (2010) 423–436, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2010.06.015.
2. Smiri, M., Chaoui, A., Rouhier, N., Kamel, C., Gelhaye, E., Jacquot, J.P., El Ferjani, E., Cadmium induced mitochondrial redox changes in germinating pea seed. BioMetals, 23 (2010) 973–984, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10534-010-9344-y.
3. Smiri, M., Chaoui, A., Rouhier, N., Gelhaye, E., Jacquot, J.P., El Ferjani, E., Effect of cadmium on resumption of respiration in cotyledons of germinating pea seeds. Ecotox. Environ. Safe., 73 (2010) 1246–1254, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2010.05.015.
4. Smiri, M., Chaoui, A., Rouhier, N., Gelhaye, E., Jacquot, J.P., El Ferjani, E., Cadmium Affects the Glutathione/Glutaredoxin System in Germinating Pea Seeds. Biol. Trace Elem. Res., 142 (2010) 93–105, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12011-010-8749-3.
5. Smiri, M., Chaoui, A., Rouhier, N., Gelhaye, E., Jacquot, J.P., El Ferjani, E., Oxidative damage and redox change in pea seeds treated with cadmium. C.R. Biol., 333 (2010) 801–807, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.crvi.2010.09.002.
6. Smiri, M., Chaoui, A., Rouhier, N., Gelhaye, E., Jacquot, J.P., El Ferjani, E., NAD pattern and NADH oxidase activity in pea (Pisum sativum L.) under cadmium toxicity. Physiol. Mol. Biol. Plants, 16 (2010) 305–315, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12298-010-0033-7.
One of the conditions of submission of a paper for publication is that authors declare explicitly that their work is original and has not appeared in a publication elsewhere. Re-use of any data should be appropriately cited. As such this article represents a severe abuse of the scientific publishing system. The scientific community takes a very strong view on this matter and apologies are offered to readers of the journal that this was not detected during the submission process.
(We’re not sure why the notice cites the retracted article as a source of the lifted information, but we’re guessing that was an error and not a meta-point about plagiarism. Along the same lines, #6 on the list is one of the two studies that has cited the now-retracted paper. Duplicating a paper that hadn’t yet been published would of course require time travel a la Back to the Future.)
Since his 2010 burst of productivity, Smiri seems to have slowed down substantially. However, his name does appear in a 2012 paper in Pathophysiology, “Antihyperglycemic, antihyperlipidemic and antioxidant activities of traditional aqueous extract of Zygophyllum album in streptozotocin diabetic mice.”
Subscribe to comments with RSS.